Locals speak out against Kinnick replica

Picasa 2.7

At the June 21 City Council meeting, residents of a local Iowa City neighborhood passionately opposed and voiced concerns about new developments of a Kinnick Stadium replica on Lusk Street in the Manville Heights neighborhood.

From angered neighbors to concerned mothers, 12 people in total used their time to explain to board members the issues it will cause for the community.

A concerned mother spoke, saying it is a set up for car accidents and drunk drivers, as on game days there is already a large number of fast drivers and heavy traffic.

A man who currently resides in Decorah, Iowa will build the Kinnick Replica at 101 Lusk Street. The 7,500-residence plan shows multi-gendered bathrooms, containing a total of 9 toilets and 2 urinals, a commercial-sized kitchen that raises neighbor’s questions on how this can be allowed in a residential area.

“Simply because a property owner claims a 7,400 square foot Kinnick Stadium replica is a single family home does not make it so,” Resident Dennis Befeler said in his speech to the council asking them to do what they can in regards to stopping this development.

The replica was originally intended for the University Heights neighborhood, but was denied due to drainage and sloping issues. Residents of the Manville Heights area hope that similar discrepancies will stop any further development in their area.

City attorney Eleanor Dilkes said regardless of complaints, all the necessary requirements are being met, and the council does not have the authority to stop the development.

“There’s a good chance it’s going to be built, but we understand the neighbor’s frustration,” Councilor Terry Dickens said. “Legally, we’re on the zoning that’s there. They can protest it, and we’re going to look at it at the next meeting, but once it goes to zoning it’s very tough to stop.”