Women’s golf winds up fifth

Iowa golfer Briana Midkiff drives the ball during the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. The Hawkeyes finished a three-round with 888, 25-over par with Rutgers finished second 18 strokes behind Iowa. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kipsert)

The Iowa women’s golf team had some success on April 8 and 9 in Lubbock, Texas, at the Red Raider Invitational.

Host Texas Tech claimed the title after carding an 867 (plus 3), an astonishing 13 strokes better than second-place Purdue (880).

The Hawkeyes ended the tournament at 890, good enough to tie for fifth with Brigham Young.

“This was a great day for the Hawkeyes,” Iowa head coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “Our team had great composure today in very tough conditions. We are excited about the continued improvement throughout the lineup.”

One Hawkeye in particular had a career day in the Lone Star State. Junior Jessie Sindlinger recorded 11 holes at par, two birdies, and an eagle on 18 on her way to fourth place at 216.

The junior from Charles City was not the only Hawkeye to enjoy an impressive performance. Senior Amy Ihm ended her weekend on a high-note as she carded a final round 74 (plus 2) to tie for 10th place.

“Jessie was so solid today, and Ihm played really good golf,” Menzel said in a release. “It was great to have two Hawkeyes in the top 10 this week.”

The Hawkeyes will next head to Columbus, Ohio, on April 16-17 to compete in the Lady Buckeye Invitational.

— by Ricardo Ascencio