Studer: Abortion under threat

Samuel Studer

The Food and Drug Administration has changed the guidelines for a pill that starts abortion. The changes state that women can take the drug further into pregnancy (from seven to 10 weeks) and will also not need as many doctor’s visits in order to take the pill (from three to two). This is a big step in many states that require doctors who are issuing the pill to follow FDA guidelines.

These changes could be made because new evidence show that 200 milligram pills should be taken; the former standard was 600 milligram pills. The Cochrane Library examined several studies and came to the conclusion that lower doses of the pill produce fewer side effects.

Some states have already made this common practice. This change would affect such states as Texas, North Dakota, and Ohio, where state law requires doctors to follow the higher dosage.

Debates have raged over this drug for years because pro-choice groups have advocated the use of the drug in the United States. Meanwhile, the anti-abortion movement has wanted to limit access to the drug. According to the New York Times, Randall O’ Bannon, the director of education and reach for the National Right to Life, said, “It appears this has been done for the convenience and the profitability of the abortion industry.”

Is this really the case? These new guidelines help to bridge the divide between science and government regulations. Women should have the right to terminate a pregnancy in these first several weeks if they see fit, and the change helps to speed up the process if these are the necessary steps. Doctors will not have to have visits in order to give another dose of the medication.

Many organizations are on board with the change. For instance, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and Planned Parenthood agreed with the decision.

Abortion issues have made headlines in the presidential race. On March 30 on MSNBC, Republican Donald Trump said, if abortions are outlawed, women who undergo the procedure should face “some form of punishment.” Afterwards, Trump retracted his statement.

Women should not receive punishment for their abortion decisions. No advocacy groups would rally for punishment if a women gets an abortion.      The change helps to simplify the complicated process of obtaining and using the abortion pill. It would also allow women in remote areas access to the drug. In some states, a medical professional must be present while the drug is administered.

Women should have a say in what happens when it comes to abortion. Nobody else has a right to tell a woman what to do with her body. It is our responsibility to make sure that politicians understand this stance.

Trump has talked about outlawing abortion. This would be devastating to millions of women throughout the United States. We must understand the issues and work toward making sure that the liberties we are given as citizens of the United States are respected.