Iowa women’s tennis travels to Indiana

Iowa womens tennis travels to Indiana

The Iowa women’s tennis team will face its second Big Ten matchup of the season when they travel to Bloomington to face Indiana this weekend.

The last time these two teams met was 2015, when Indiana secured a 4-3 victory. Itwas ranked No. 52 in the nation at the time.

A key matchup that Indiana will have to look out for will be the Hawkeye juniors playing doubles, Aimee Tarun and Natalie Looney. They have combined to go 10-2 on the season, and they will be eager to cause damage in Bloomington this weekend.

Another key matchup that the Hoosiers will have to look out for is in the singles competition, in which Hawkeye Adorabol Huckleby is undefeated (8-0). Huckleby’s last win came up against Jarret Fisher at DePaul this past weekend (6-3, 6-2).

Following this Big Ten matchup, the Hawkeyes will square off next against Maryland, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

The match against the Hoosiers is set to begin at 10 a.m. Saturday.

The Iowa men’s tennis team will face off against Nebraska at home in the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex for its first Big Ten matchup this season.

A big change early on for the Hawkeyes this season was shifting Jake Jacoby from No. 5 to No. 6.

“Jake’s game is tailor-made to play down at 5 and 6 singles,” Iowa head coach Ross Wilson said. “He makes a lot of balls, he’s a really good athlete, and he’s a great competitor.”

Jacoby, who has put up an 8-0 record since he changed positions, will try to improve that record against Nebraska.

“I feel pride in taking over the 6 spot and anchoring down the lineup,” he said. “I think the wins have made me more confident in my game lately, but I just try to build off of that and look at every match as a new one.”

Jacoby has proved he isn’t too shabby at doubles, either; he and sophomore Lefteris Theodorou have been ranked No. 78 in the nation according to the Oracle Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

“I think this year, we just know what we need to work on and what works well for us as a pair,” Theodorou said. “Our game styles and mentality are different, but I think that works to our advantage.”