When the revolution was here

By Cassandra Santiago

Almost everyone agreed Beyoncé won Super Bowl 50.

Just hours before she took the stage with a Black Panther-inspired costume and backup dancers, the icon released the music video for “Formation.” The song addresses many of the criticisms Beyoncé has received throughout the years over Blue Ivy’s hair, her husband’s features, and Illuminati involvement. Above all, it highlights her support for the Black Lives Matter movement and unashamedly embraces her blackness. All this, just in time to celebrate the upcoming 50-year anniversary of the Black Panther Party.

In Iowa City, Assistant Professor of history Keisha Blain, the History Department, and other campus programs have decided to acknowledge the Black Panthers with an onscreen performance. They will host a free screening of the fairly new film The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution at 4 p.m. today in 348 IMU.

“In honor of Black History Month, this event was organized in an effort to shed light on the complexities of the Civil Rights-Black Power Era — beyond the usual narratives about Martin Luther King’s dream and Rosa Park’s refusal to give up her seat,” Blain wrote in an email.

The documentary, originally released in September 2015, seeks to clarify the Black Panthers’ importance in the broad culture and history of the United States, which is often intentionally separated from black American history. Emmy-award winning writer, director, and producer, Stanley Nelson brings into play archival footage from the people on the ground during the party’s activeness. Nelson collected voices across the spectrum from loyal Panthers, those who left it, the police, FBI informants, journalists, and white allies and opponents to give viewers a well-rounded experience. It is the first feature-length documentary to do so.

“Many people have heard about the Black Panthers, but few people know much about the party’s history,” Blain said. “The documentary offers a more complex and nuanced view of the Black Panthers beyond the images that tend to occupy the popular imagination.”

And for those prompted to converse about the film afterwards, a panel has been organized to address initial impressions and questions. Attendees will hear from Blain, David McCartney, the University of Iowa Libraries archivist of Special Collections, and Richard Brent Turner, a professor of religion and African-American studies.

“We look forward to a vibrant and rich conversation about the Black Panthers and the Civil Rights-Black Power era in general,” Blain said.

FILM

The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution

When: 4 p.m. today

Where: 348 IMU

Admission: Free