Council hopefuls discuss communication, budget, safety

The League of Women Voters held a forum with Iowa City City Council candidates Thursday night.

There are eight candidates running for four seats on the council: Councilor Jim Throgmorton, Councilor Michelle Payne, Rockne Cole, Tim Conroy, John Thomas, Scott McDonough, Pauline Taylor, and Councilor Rick Dobyns.

The candidates first spoke about the council’s communication with other city municipalities.

“I would like to be a part of a City Council that thoroughly listens to their people and the other branches of the city government,” Taylor said.

Throgmorton said building relationships with other entities in the city was important to get things accomplished.

“I would build relationships with supervisors and School Board members to help get things done,” he said. “I’ve done it in the past, and everyone knows I can do it again.”

The forum then moved to discussion about the city budget and tax-increment financing.

Payne started the conversation by talking about the need for increased efficiency.

“The city government can become more efficient, and I think the raise of efficiency will have a positive effect on the budget,” she said.

McDonough said his experience in business would help City Council.

“I understand business; I own a business,” he said. “When it comes to budgeting I can get the job done.”

Conroy said further requirements should be set out for TIP funding.

“I am in full belief that our TIFs need to be project-specific,” he said.

The topic of minimum wage, which was raised by the Johnson County Board of Supervisors earlier this year, also came up.

Payne said she supported an increase.

“In our community, a person needs to make $13 an hour to make a living,” Payne said.

“I applaud the Board of Supervisors for moving forward with this initiative,” Thomas said.

Candidates also discussed the subject of women’s rights.

“We’ve done things to make our taxi cabs safer, so women feel safer using those sevices,” Payne said.

Throgmorton said Iowa City could do more for mothers.

“It’s possible the city could be more actively involved in providing childcare services to working mothers,” Throgmorton said.

“We need to continue with education. One of the really good programs is Girls on the Run, which informs girls on what is safe and what is not,” McDonough said.

Conroy said collaboration with the university would be beneficial as well.