Musings on Mars

Keith Reed

On Sept. 28, NASA announced it had discovered evidence of flowing water on Mars. NASA used a technique that detected hydrated minerals flowing down mountain slopes.

Space has always been an intriguing topic for many, and there are countless movies on the subject. After this announcement, being a Martian might be on the top of wish lists worldwide this upcoming holiday season. There is one fundamental problem in the want to leave Earth: Why not try to fix the problems present in Earth before colonizing Mars?

Earth has not been the most ideal place, but it was all that we had. Mars having water opens up various opportunities for advancement and jobs. The thing is, Earth needs to improve itself globally before there is any colonization of Mars. There are still countries on this planet where poverty and hunger are still prevalent issues, or where human rights as well as LGBT rights are not as commonplace as they are in America. We should bring equality and stabilize the countries where it is deemed necessary.

Would I go to live on Mars on the first rocket ship? I would not, simply because there is so much that I would miss on Earth. My mom would not allow me to get on the ship, let alone go to school in another state. I recently participated in watching the Super Blood Moon Eclipse, and it left me angry. I did not feel that way simply because I am no astronomer and I enjoy the daylight. The many people hyping it up and taking futile pictures with their cell phones put me off.

For me, it hype that comes with the words space and Moon boggles the mind. When I looked at the Moon, I did not get the feeling of fullness that appears to be the product of watching the Moon for others. I’d much rather clamor for a solar eclipse. According to NASA, we simply have to wait about three years to understand what others would feel on the subject, because the next total solar eclipse is coming in 2017. 

The nonprofit organization Mars One is in the process of trying to put the first human on Mars by 2027. The qualifications are that applicants be of sound mind, average height, physically and mentally fit, and possess the ability to speak basic English. The cost to put merely four people on Mars is $6 billion. The amount of money put forth for this trip could infused into those countries that are severely impoverished, or it could assist in putting the entire United States on the Internet. Humans are still going hungry in this nation, as a society matters of this nature should be rectified before Mars One can go forth with its mission. 

Mars is a very beautiful planet with its vibrant shades and now flowing water. This discovery of flowing water adds fodder to the argument that there may be sustainable life outside of Earth. That is something that I am very interested in and would love to witness from the comfort of my own home. If colonization occurred there, I would not shame those who wish to visit. This just happens to be a giant leap for mankind as well as science.