Path of coaching

The Iowa girls team stays in a pack at the Big 10 conference cross country meet on Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. Michigan State won the women’s title, and Wisconsin claimed the men’s title. For individual titles, Michigan State runner Leah O’Conner won the women’s race, and Wisconsin runner Malachy Schrobilgen won the men’s race. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

Q&A: Catching up with cross-country coach Layne Anderson

By Connor Sindberg

Daily Iowan reporter Connor Sineberg caught up with cross-country head coach Layne Anderson Wednesday afternoon. Anderson has been coaching in the Hawkeye cross-country and track program since 2003. He reflected on how he got into cross-country coaching, his experience as a college runner, and what keeps him motivated and excited as coach year to year.

DI: How did you get into coaching cross-country? 

Anderson: It wasn’t my career intent, it was sort of accidental. When I was a graduate student at Auburn University, the career goal was to become a college professor. During my time at Auburn, I started volunteering with the cross-country team and after doing that for a few years, I ended up meeting with Texas Tech University for a cross-country position during the NCAA Championships. And once I interviewed, I was offered the job shortly after. I took it, and I was excited, and now looking back on it, I’m definitely glad I took that job.

DI: Running collegiately at Citadel, how much did that experience help you in the coaching field?

Anderson: If you have the luxury of being an athlete at your sport, then you have a lot of self-knowledge. Certainty being successful as a runner and understanding the level of commitment and being able to stand in front of people and say, Here’s what you need to do, I’ve done it myself, gives you more credibility.

DI: Who were some of your mentors and what has got you on the path you’re on right now?

Anderson: I learned a lot from the two coaches I worked under at Auburn and Texas Tech. Another thing I did is I went and listened to successful coaches speak; this helped me understand how they became successful. I think any successful coach will tell you the reason they became successful is because their coaching style reflects their personality. My coaching style certainly reflects my personality and reflects who I am as a person.

DI: During your Hawkeye coaching career, your runners have been successful academically; is seeing your runners do well academically something you take great pride in?

Anderson: The vast majority of runners I’ve coached that have gone on to become elite runners were also successful in the classroom. Doing well in the classroom goes hand in hand with being successful as an athlete. The athletes who do well in the classroom are the ones you never have to worry about; most of time those are the ones that become the elite athletes. I also think it’s an easy way to gain momentum as an athlete, when you’re doing well in academics.

DI: Coaching at Texas Tech and Auburn, how much different is it here at Iowa compared with those two schools?

Anderson: Different environment, differences in weather. Texas Tech conditions were wide open and windy. Auburn was hot and humid conditions. Iowa has more favorable running conditions until the cold winter sets in.

DI: What keeps you fresh season to season?

Anderson: I try to get away from the competitive side of running. I try to hang out with my family and my two sons. I like to go to my two sons’ soccer and football games. Hanging out with them helps me decompress.

DI: What keeps you motivated and excited as a coach?

Anderson: Having new athletes coming into the program every year and progressing year to year. Just seeing young people realize they can achieve a dream and then seeing that become a reality for them is a rewarding experience. Just being a part of someone’s life journey it was keeps me going as a coach.

Follow @CSindberg32 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis of the Iowa women’s cross-country team.