Ip stays focused after record

Diane Thomason hands Iowa golfer Jessica Ip her first place trophy after the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine on Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015. The Hawkeyes finished a three-round with 888, 25-over par with Rutgers finished second 18 strokes behind Iowa. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kipsert)

Iowa sophomore golfer Jessica Ip, who shone last weekend, credits hard work.

By Jake Mosbach

As Hawkeye golfer Jessica Ip sank the final putt to win last weekend’s Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine, she had no idea just how meaningful it was.

With the putt, the sophomore from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, recorded a 54-hole score of 212, breaking the Hawkeye three-round record set by Kristi Caldwell in 2012 by 1 stroke.

The even-keeled Ip had no idea what she had accomplished until a few days later, when she read about it in an Internet article.

“I didn’t realize that until afterward,” she said about the record. “I had no idea. I read it online. I’m glad no one told me I was on pace … that probably helped me stay focused.”

While the record-breaking score is no doubt impressive, Ip said it’s more than just a number. It’s tangible proof that hard work does pay off.

“I realized that all the practice I put in, all the work I put in over the summer really helped,” she said. “It’s a result of practicing hard, and it’s proof that if I want to keep playing this way, I’ve just got to keep at it.”

Last season as a freshman, Ip competed in all 11 tournaments during the 2014-15 academic year and recorded the team’s best individual performance in two.

She credits the team’s upperclassmen with helping her through her freshman year and said this year, she believes it’s more of her responsibility to be able to coach herself.

“They [upperclassmen] taught me a lot of really helpful things, like not overthinking important rounds. That was something I really struggled with last year,” Ip said. “But I’m kind of starting to figure that out, and now I feel I’m more independent and focused on myself.”

The ability to deal with pressure and not overthink the game was certainly part of Ip’s winning performance last weekend, and head coach Megan Menzel noted just how important it was for Ip to handle big moments.

“I’m glad she felt the pressure, because you really have to be able to deal with it,” Menzel said. “It was a learning opportunity, and she was really able to just play her own game. “

Hawkeye senior Amy Ihm said after the win that Ip’s performance would motivate the whole team, not just Ip.

“It gives us all confidence to go out there and do our best,” Ihm said. “It’s certainly a great push in to the next tournament.”

Ip’s win gives her and the entire team momentum heading in to the Sept. 28-29 Johnie Imes Invitational in Columbia, Missouri, but the nearly two-week break between tournaments has a chance of slowing that momentum.

Ip said, however, it’s quite the opposite.

“It can be kind of hard to stay focused during those long breaks [between tournaments], Ip said. “But more importantly, those two weeks give all of us time to work on what really needs to be worked on.”

What’s remarkable is that Ip is merely a sophomore, and she has almost three full seasons to continue to play impressive golf. In the meantime, she knows what she wants to accomplish.

“I want to be a regional champion, and I want to be an NCAA champion,” she said. “I want to be a team leader. Being a leader is a very respected role, and I’ll be proud to take that on.”

Follow @RealJakeMosbach on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis on the Iowa women’s golf team.