Harriers pick it up in practice

Iowa runner Marta Bote Gonzalez looks over her shoulder during the Big Ten Preview Women’s 6k Race at Ashton Cross Country Course on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. Gonzalez finished with a time of 22:48.97 on the race. Iowa Men finished second and the Women finished fifth overall. Iowa Men finished second and the Women finished fifth overall. (The Daily Iowan/Alyssa Hitchcock)

The next two weeks of training are crucial if the Hawks want to be ready for their upcoming meets.

By Connor Sindberg

In order to improve as a runner, one must build endurance mentally and physically — something head coach Layne Anderson has been preaching to the Hawkeye harriers all season.

This week, Anderson has revved up mental and physical training. The reason for the extra intensity is all part of preparation for the upcoming meets in October.

“We are focused on continuing to build more physical fitness and psychological confidence,” Anderson said. “With significant time before the next race and given our current fitness level, it is our expectation that we start to find a nice rhythm to our training that enhances our potential to perform at or near our best heading into the month of October.”

For this week’s preparation, Anderson stressed getting each runner stronger day by day. At the end of practice Anderson wants to evaluate each individual runner; this will help him see where the Hawks are at as a team. Another theory he believes in is making each individual runner uncomfortable in training.

“We have a saying that in order to be an elite collegiate distance runner, you must get comfortable in racing with being uncomfortable, and that occurs if it is mastered in training,” Anderson said.

One tactic the coach has employed for practice this week is placing his three elite runners together in a pack. This group consists of sophomore Madison Waymire, junior Tess Wilberding, and sophomore Marta Gonzalez.

Anderson concludes that this is a great way for them to improve with each other, and he trusts that this strategy will get the best results.

“We are focused on working with those individual on the team who are showing the ability to train together and looking to carry that forward in our racing,” Anderson said. “Madison, Tess, and Marta, for example, are working together on the quality sessions with the ultimate goal to carry that forward into racing.”

Redshirt sophomore Kelly Breen agreed with the importance of having Madison and Tess performing at their best.

“It is very important that they have success because it encourages the whole team to do better and work harder,” she said.

Getting the top runners at their maximum potential in training will push the other Hawkeyes teammates to improve together. One way to get the other Hawkeyes at their full potential is starting a second pack that trails the first pack. In training, the second pack has the goal to stay as close as they can to the first pack. 

“I believe as long as Tess and Madison stay confident in their abilities, they will continue to improve, and the pack will move up with them,” freshman Andrea Shine said.

Junior Carolyn Newhouse concurs with the training and “pack system” employed in practice this week.

“As a team, I’m really excited about our dynamics this year,” Newhouse said. “We have been working on getting our pack closer together on the course.”

The Hawks have two weeks to improve; the next meet will take place on Oct. 2 in South Bend, Indiana, at the Notre Dame Invitational. The level of competition will increase as the season goes on, and Anderson knows that continuing to prepare with the current training methods will help the team be ready.

“Notre Dame will be a national-class meet, so we will have to be well-prepared to compete,” Anderson said.

Follow @CSindberg32 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis of the Iowa women’s cross-country team.