Pals reunite as Hawkeyes

Iowa tennis players Nils Hallestrand and Robin Haden sit on the outside Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation courts on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2015. Hallestrand and Haden were childhood friends from Danderyd, Sweden. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa tennis players Robin Haden and Nils Hallestrand were friends growing up in Danderyd, Sweden.

By Blake Dowson

Mississippi State transfer Robin Haden has a familiar face with him on his new campus.

Haden, a junior from Danderyd, Sweden, has known Hawkeye tennis player Nils Hallestrand since he was a little kid.

The two grew up together in the small Swedish town just north of Stockholm. Now, they are reunited in Iowa City.

“We’ve known each other since we were 6 years old,” Hallestrand said. “We knew each other primarily through school back then. We played on the same ice-hockey team before we ever played tennis together.”

After their hockey careers cooled, the duo took to tennis, and a friendly rivalry was started.

“We were the biggest rivals in tennis,” Haden said. “We probably played each other more than 20 times. Nils probably won five or six more times than I did.”

Haden moved south after their ninth-grade year. The two stayed in touch after the move, talking about tennis and school.

Haden moved back to Danderyd each summer during high school, and the two again got together and played tennis.

When it came time to graduate, both Hallestrand and Haden knew they wanted to continue their tennis careers in the United States.

“I knew my sophomore year of high school that I wanted to come to the United States,” Haden said. “It’s a great opportunity to play tennis and go to school. In Sweden, you either turn pro and don’t go to school, or you go to school and give up tennis.”

After two years at Mississippi State, Haden decided he wanted to look for a better fit. As soon as Hallestrand caught wind of the news, he was on the phone with his childhood friend.

“I called him immediately,” Hallestrand said. “And I’m glad I did. I just told him about the people, the facilities, and just how unbelievable the school is.”

Haden sent a proof of release to Hawkeye head coach Ross Wilson and set up a visit to Iowa City. The rest, as they say, is history.

Haden said he meshed with the team right away and loved the campus. But that he could be reunited with one of his childhood friends persuaded him.

“Nils was one of the main reasons I came here,” Haden said. “I knew everything was good here because Nils likes it so much.”

Wilson said the transition for Haden has been smooth on and off the court. With a couple college seasons under his belt, he said, Haden knows the routine.

The transfer stands to play a big role for the Hawkeyes this season, and the younger players have anointed him with a leadership role.

“When you get Swedes, they’re really easy. They won’t rock the boat,” Wilson said. “He’s going to be a big-time starter for us. He’s been through a lot of big matches, and he knows how to perform in big moments.”

When it comes to life off the court, Hallestrand is trying to show Haden the ropes of Iowa City.

So far, so good.

“I love it here,” Haden said. “There’s so much to do. The campus is always busy, and there are so many restaurants and stuff. I’m going to really enjoy my two years here.”

Follow @B_Dows4 for news, updates and analysis of the Iowa men’s tennis team.