Dancing with laundry

UI freshmen Delaney Soule, who lives in Burge residence Hall, pulls her laundry out of a dryer in Burge Hall on Wednesday, Sep. 2, 2015. Some students who live off campus have begun coming onto campus in residence halls to do laundry, in an effort to save money. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

By Ali Krogman
alison-krogman@uiowa.

Jenny Goliszewski is trading in her laundry quarters for something that makes more cents: leftover Hawk Dollars.

The sophomore has almost $150 remaining in her account from freshman year. She plans to use that money to do her laundry in the dorms, a result, she said, of high laundry prices in her apartment building.

“It’s $2 to wash and $2 to dry in my building,” Goliszewski said. “That’s a lot of quarters for one load of laundry.”

She said she only does laundry on average every other week now, instead of once a week like she did while living in the dorms.

“It’s inconvenient to have to get rolls of quarters every time I want to wash my clothes,” she said. “And it’s too expensive.”

She said she and her roommates hang-dry all of their clothes to try to keep the cost of laundry down.

“We have clothes all over the living room when we do laundry,” Goliszewski said. “We already pay for rent, parking spots, and utilities. Laundry should just be included in the rent.”

She went to Burge for the first time this week to wash her clothes.

“It’s really easy,” she said. “You can walk right in and just go downstairs.”

Carrie Kiser-Wacker, the assistant to the senior director in Housing & Dining, said she is aware of off-campus students using the dorm laundry.

“We don’t necessarily support that because the laundry facilities are paid for by students who are living in the dorms,” Kiser-Wacker said. “But to my knowledge, we have never disciplined a student for doing that.”

Kate Fitzgerald, the director of residence education for University Housing & Dining, wrote in an email that students who live in the leased Clinton Street Apartments have access to residence-hall laundry, as well as Centerstone. She did not have an opinion about off-campus students using the dorms’ laundry facilities.

Other students off campus aren’t so concerned with the laundry fees in their building.

“I pay $1.75 to wash and $1.25 to dry,” said junior Emily Hankes about her apartment building in Coralville. “I think that’s a fair price.”

However, she said, getting quarters is inconvenient and can delay her washing clothes if she doesn’t have enough.

Sophomores Adam Hoffman and Jordan Stieb said laundry is included in their rent.

“It’s pretty convenient,” Hoffman said. “It’s way easier than going to a different floor or using quarters like other apartment buildings.”

Hawk Dollars carry over each year until a student runs out or graduates from the university.

Apartments at Iowa declined to comment, and Apartments Near Campus said its people were too busy to speak with The Daily Iowan.