Online comments

On Sanchez: More guns, more problems

More guns does sound a bit like making things better for all, by more money to Donald Trump, who says he has taken in 10 billion bucks and wants to be president for change. The change apparently being continuance of what all those that do the heavy lifting and dirty work will continue to get. So it makes Trump sounds like gun-toting bank robber Willies Sutton, who said in response to why they robbed banks: “That’s where the money is.” Trump want to be president because that’s where the money is?

Sam Osborne

Sam Osborne, you morphed the topic from guns to politics to Trump to money. Try to stay on topic.

More guns more shootings.

My response: Like Clint Eastwood a.k.a. Dirty Harry quote: “Nothing wrong with shootings, as long as the right people get shot.”

Got a mass killer in a killing spree? Shoot back. It stops ’em.

David Mehaffey

On Cervantes: Does it really take a village?

Senor Pablo’s (hmmmmm? — Lower Muscatine?) about 1980 … popular Sunday night dining spot. My dearest friend with me. Small child, at adjacent table, incessantly tapping a spoon on a water glass (ting-ting-ting-ting-ting-ting). “STOP THAT,” I barked at the child. Describe me as “snapping,” if you like, or perhaps “fight or flight” occurred. I am sure I surprised the child, parents, and everyone in the restaurant, my friend for sure. To this day, I wish I had chosen flight. I believe life is about choices and how we react to situations. I take no satisfaction in my choice of action that evening. I am not a parent and often wonder what sort of parent I would be. My reaction that evening contributes to my belief I would be a poor parent. While I do not believe a bit of public discipline will scar any child, the loud outburst is not necessary. Goodness, if your child is fussing, take her/him out of the room. I also believe parents become a bit immune. (I also believe people today are so unaware, ignorant and discourteous, but that is another discussion.) I do not know best practice, but my parents chose to get a sitter. What will a crying infant learn from the dining experience? By the way, the child stopped tapping the glass, and the parents said nothing. Perhaps they were more embarrassed than I was. Perhaps it takes a village to raise the parents.

Ross Rayner