Women’s tennis to face Michigan, UNLV, Indiana

The Iowa women’s tennis team is slated for three matches over spring break, with action starting this afternoon, when the Hawks will take on No. 13 Michigan. Iowa is coming off a weekend in which they overcame opponents in two tough matches, both of which head coach Katie Dougherty called battles.

The Hawkeyes defeated Big Ten foe Rutgers, 6-1, in their first ever meeting and then ousted Kansas State, 4-1.

This will be the first time this season that No. 13 Michigan will get a taste of Big Ten dual action. Most recently, the Wolverines defeated Texas, 6-1, and Hawaii, 6-1.

Dougherty has a high-level of confidence in her players. She especially noted junior Annette Dohanics’ dedication to endurance.

“She can stay out there and last with anyone in the country,” the sixth-year head coach said. She’s at that level of fitness.”

She’ll need to if Iowa is to have a chance to win; Michigan is 8-3 overall and leads the all-time series against the Hawkeyes 36-12.

On March 17, the Hawks will head to Las Vegas for a contest against UNLV. This will be the first-ever meeting between the schools. UNLV is 5-6, 1-0 in the Mountain West Conference.

The final contest on the docket is a March 22 battle against Indiana in which Iowa will get the Hoosiers at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Indiana is 9-3 overall and like Michigan, has of yet to see any conference action.

Upcoming schedule: