Hawkeye divers send one to NCAAs on day two

Hawkeye redshirt senior Joelle Christy will dive at the NCAA meet, joining two swimmers, sophomore Emma Sougstad and senior Becky Stoughton, in heading to Greensboro, North Carolina, beginning March 19.

Christy snared eighth place on the 1-meter springboard with scores of 294.10 in the prelims and 304.90 in the finals, combining for a score of 599.00.

Fellow redshirt senior Abby Grilli also dove in the finals on the women’s half of the day. She finished 10th, scoring a 283.00 in the prelims and a 294.10 in finals.

Also diving in the women’s 1-meter event were Lauren Kelba, who finished 22nd with a 256.15, sophomore Lydia Lehnert, who finished 26th with a 248.95, and sophomore Calli Head, who finished 37th with a 233.20.

The Iowa men were lead by junior Addison Boschult, who finished 13th with a total score of 696.70 through his two lists of dives. Boschult was 16th heading into finals with a score of 328.10.

Freshman Matt Mauser and sophomore Brandis Heffner finished 21st and 22nd, with scores of 312.50 and 307.50, respectively.

The tower diving portion of the event will begin at 11 a.m. today and is the Hawkeyes strongest event. Boschult was sixth at the Big Ten championships from the platform.

— by Ian Murphy