Track competes in Nebraska

The Iowa track and field squad traveled to Lincoln, Nebraska, over the weekend to compete in a two-day event at the Sevigne Husker Invitational.

This meet marked the team’s second on the road and first of intense competition. The women’s side finished fourth and nailed 44 points, while the men earned seventh with 38 points.

On the women’s side, a few high points came from freshman Marta Bote Gonzalez, sophomore Elexis Guster, and senior Annemie Smith. The freshman took the crown in the women’s 3,000 with a time of 9:51.82. Guster snagged silver in the women’s 400 with a time of 54.20, Smith showed up in the women’s weight throw with a toss of 17.47. That mark is now ranked seventh on Iowa’s all-time list.

On the men’s side, redshirt freshman William Dougherty and senior Jack Eckert competed in the men’s heptathlon. Dougherty finished seventh with 4,991 points, and Eckert finished fourth with 5,172 points. Eckert’s mark is now ranked third in school history and fourth in the Big Ten. In the men’s mile, senior Sam Fourman finished second, crossing the line in 4:13.98. Freshman Carter Lilly took second in the men’s 600 when he crossed the line in 1:20.55.

On Saturday and Feb. 15, the team will split between the Cyclone Classic in Ames and the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

— by Mario Williams