Buy or Sell: Looking back at the Big Ten

In this edition of Buy or Sell, Iowa men’s basketball writers Danny Payne and Jacob Sheyko break down the first third of the Hawkeyes Big Ten season, in which the Hawkeyes went 4-2 with losses to Wisconsin and Michigan State.

Buy or Sell: Josh Oglesby will get things going in the remaining two thirds of the Big Ten Schedule

Payne: Sell. As I see it, Oglesby’s first few league games this season is what his role the rest of the way. He’s on the floor to spell Peter Jok when he needs a blow, to not make mistakes, and to occasionally (which may be putting it lightly) knock down a shot.

He’s done those, although he may not do them well, he’s done them. He only has four turnovers in 133 minutes of Big Ten play, his usage percentage is 8.9 percent, according to basketballreference. He’s chewed up some minutes for Jok, who can only play 20-25 minutes per contest.

In terms of shooting, he’s 33 percent from beyond the arc and 42 percent overall, but that’s a small sample size.

The main thing here is that he’s basically been a minutes-eater through conference play. I haven’t seen enough to warrant writing he can be effective like we’ve seen at times throughout his Iowa career.

Sheyko: Buy. Perhaps more than any other type of player, shooters are prone to extreme highs and lows. Oglesby has had these, and some of those lows have lasted an entire season, as it did in 2012-13 season, when he shot 27.4 percent from the floor.

But Oglesby has proven he can be, at the least, an effective shooter — he shot 40.3 percent from three last season. And shooting 10-of-21 from the field since the North Florida game — as well as 6-13 from three — is a good sign.

Buy or Sell: The first third of Iowa’s Big Ten season was a success

Payne: Buy. After a poor performance in the non-conference schedule, Iowa put in quality wins — both at home and on the road — in the last six games. Ohio State, although one could make the argument that Thad Matta’s crew is down, still boasts veterans like Sam Thompson and a Big Ten Freshman of the Year candidate in D’Angelo Russell.

Nebraska is a good team, Minnesota (although the record may not indicate) is a good squad. By the way, Iowa survived a second-half meltdown against the Gophers

Bottom line, Iowa is in a good place heading into the rest of league play.

Sheyko: Buy. Going into the season, it looked as if Iowa’s first six games of the Big Ten season had the chance of being disastrous, the teams Iowa was slated to play went a combined 128-53 the season before, including a combined 53-37 in the Big Ten, which would have averaged out to about a fifth place team in the conference.  

However, six games into the conference season, Iowa stands at 4-2, and that record has come against opponents that have combined to go 81-33 — including the two times Iowa played Ohio State.

Yes, there have been down moments. The collapse to Michigan State and putting up 17 first half points against Wisconsin come to mind. But at the end of the day, if someone told the Iowa program that it would be 4-2 at this point of the season, I’m fairly sure the Hawkeyes would take it.

Buy or Sell: Trey Dickerson’s performance against Wisconsin merited him time in the rotation

Payne: Buy, with hesitation. Dickerson can be a liability when he’s on the floor, we’ve seen that with the freshman. But with an offense that’s struggled at times, it might help to get a guy who can score like Dickerson some minutes.

He’s probably the quickest player on Iowa’s roster and showed he can shoot in the right situation against the Badgers.

If offensive droughts continue, Dickerson is a good piece to shake things up.

Sheyko: Sell. Dickerson can bring another gear that no one on Iowa’s roster can match. Most of the time, he actually needs to slow down.

But as exciting as Dickerson can be on the floor, there simply isn’t enough minutes to spread out between Anthony Clemmons, Mike Gesell, and Dickerson. With Clemmons move to the starting lineup, he now comes into the game for Gesell, rather than playing alongside him, essentially moving Dickerson out of the rotation.

Follow @dannyapayne and @JacobSheyko on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa men’s basketball team.