Games to keep you busy over break

As the Christmas shopping season slows downs, so do the releases of new films, fashions, and video games. 

However, there are still a few notable game titles coming out over winter break, so while The Daily Iowan — and my weekly game column — are in hibernation until Jan. 22, 2015, make your way through the following up-and-coming games.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta

Players who have purchased Halo: The Master Chief Collection can experience their first taste of the highly anticipated Halo 5: Guardians in the form of a multi-player beta to be released on Dec. 29. As with most shooters, this is the bread and butter of Halo players everywhere. While still not complete on a developmental level, this will sate many people who are already bored with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Those interested should keep some space free on their hard drive; the beta will be more than 10GB.

Halo 5: Guardians multi-player beta will be available Dec. 29 on Xbox One for free with previous purchase of Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, the sequel to 2012’s ultraviolent, retro-style shooter will hit stores on Dec. 30. As with its predecessor, the game is a love letter to old, top-down games of the ’90s such as Smash TV and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. If you checked out the original or pining for the "good old days" of crazy arcade games, then check it out.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number will be available Dec. 30 on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC at $14.99.

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition

Speaking of "good old days," Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition will be released on Jan. 13. This game, along with brethren Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, has primitive graphics that have not aged well. Long before the Nintendo 3DS added "3-D" to a game’s title as a marketing gimmick, this game and others like pushed units with their (then) awe-inspiring visuals. "Wow, this game’s in 3-D? Radical, dude." Duke Nukem 3D will also include additional content from all previous editions of the game.

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition will be available for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita Jan. 13 at $9.99.