IMU to host synthetic ice rink

The aroma of hot cocoa attracts many people  this time of year until their taste buds are contented by the chocolate taste and their bodies finally warm. The festive holiday drink will serve the same purpose at Friday’s Iowa on Ice event, hosted by the University of Iowa Campus Activities Board in the IMU from 7 p.m. until 1 a.m. 

Because the UI has no campus ice rink, the Activities Board will construct a synthetic ice rink in the IMU Main Lounge — rather than outdoors, where it has been placed in the past — paired with an alluring hot-chocolate bar. 

In addition to skating and sipping, Jenny Hollowed said there will be plenty of other activities, including a showing of the movie Elf and the Festival of Trees auction. 

“About 15 student organizations paid to donate a tree for the auction we’re doing,” she said. “They get the chance to decorate their trees with images that represent their organization.” 

Donors include the UI Student Government, Dance Marathon, and On Iowa Each decorated tree will be bid on in a silent auction at the main event of the night. 

On Iowa Executive Director Deanna Dozer said that not only is this a great opportunity for the members of different student organizations to bond with one another and discover new things about each group, but it’s also a chance to support the Johnson County Crisis Center. The proceeds from the auction will buy meals for families in need over the holidays. 

“It’s good marketing for us to get people to look into On Iowa,” Dozer said. “But, of course, more importantly, the proceeds all go to families in need, so that was the huge thing behind it all.”

Dance Marathon Executive Director Erin Larsen has similar beliefs about the purpose behind the silent auction.

“For us at Dance Marathon, this is what we do,” she said. “It’ll be really fun to get to raise money for a different cause and see all kinds of different groups come together for that.”

Festival of Trees aside, Larsen said she looks forward to providing the opportunity for students of all sorts to mingle at Iowa on Ice. 

“Going ice skating on campus isn’t something that students get to do often, if ever,” she said and laughed. “That, along with the individual decorated trees on display is altogether just a really cool way to raise money for something important.”

Campus Activities Board President Tyler Hackman enjoys the originality of the on-campus activity, which will offer students a way to perform a small act of kindness before they leave for winter break. 

“It’s a creative way of getting into the holiday spirit for a good cause,” Hackman said. “It’ll definitely be something I’ve never seen here in my time on campus. I’m excited to see the Main Lounge completely transformed into a giant ice arena with holiday trees all around.”

Iowa on Ice