Dickerson officially signs with Iowa basketball team

Junior-college point guard Trey Dickerson signed his national letter of intent on Wednesday afternoon to attend Iowa for the 2014-15 season.

Last season, Dickerson averaged 19.8 points, 5.7 assists, and 3.5 rebounds for Williston State College in North Dakota. He’ll come to Iowa City with three years of eligibility remaining.

Dickerson orally committed to Fran McCaffery after Iowa’s loss to Illinois on March 8, but he didn’t officially sign until Wednesday.

“We’re thrilled that Trey is joining the program,” McCaffery said in a release. “He’s an incredibly talented, quick, and creative point guard who can also score. He’s excellent in transition and can also play in the half court. Trey has great feel for how to play. He’s a perfect fit for our style.”

Dickerson joins forward Dominique Uhl and guard Brady Ellingson in the Hawkeyes’ 2014 class.

“I think I fit in perfectly with the Iowa team because there are a bunch of shooters. I see myself creating plays off the dribble, finding guys where they’re comfortable and making shots,” Dickerson told The Daily Iowan on March 25. “I look at myself as a floor general who can score but one that can also lead this team and lead this group. The style of play definitely drew me here.

“I think we’re going to make a really good run next year. A lot of people are worried because we’re losing Devyn Marble and Melsahn [Basabe], but I think we’re going to be fine. I think we’re really going to do well next year.”

by Ryan Probasco