Men’s golf takes annual home Invitational

The Iowa men’s golf team won the team title at the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational on Sunday. The team shot a total of 11 strokes under par, leading the entire 54-hole tournament and topping second–place Iowa State by 15 strokes.

The Hawkeyes tied the seventh-best 54-hole score (853) in school history. This is Iowa’s fourth victory in the last five years of the event — Kansas took the title last year and finished on Sunday in fourth place.

“It was a great day to compete. We outlasted the field this week and stayed tough in the face of rough weather,” head coach Mark Hankins said in a release.

All eight team members competed in the invitational. Three Hawkeyes placed in the top five; senior Steven Ihm placed first, and junior Brian Bullington and freshman Carson Schaake tied for fourth.

Ihm earned the title in Sunday’s final round with a 7-under score of 209, after beginning the day in third place. This is the senior’s second-consecutive individual title for the event.

“It meant a lot to play well for all three rounds and get the win in back-to-back years,” Ihm said in a release. “I was proud of the guys today for sticking it out.”

Bullington and Schaake earned fourth place at 1 stroke under par.

“Both Carson and Brian played well all weekend; for both of them to earn top-five finishes is well deserved,” Hankins said in a release.

A number of Hawkeyes posted a career-best finish on Sunday, including Schaake, freshman Raymond Knoll, sophomores Voramate Aussarassakorn and Nate Yankovich.

“Our depth showed this weekend with each of the guys contributing at key times,” Hankins said in a release. “Steven had three great rounds and played great down the stretch. A bogey-free round today put a lot of pressure on the rest of the field on a tough scoring day. It’s a great win.”

Hankins earned his 10th tournament victory on Sunday since taking over the men’s golf program in 2007; this is his seventh season as Iowa’s head coach.

The Hawkeyes have recorded top finishes in all four events of this season, including two first-place titles in the Big Four Championship and the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational, the team’s only home event.