Hawkeyes finish 3rd, 4th, in Illinois Twilight

The Illinois Twilight proved again just how important the field events are to this year’s Hawkeye track team. Both the men’s and women’s squads went, albeit in smaller numbers, to the meet, where they finished third and fourth, respectively.

In what has become something akin to clockwork, junior Gabe Hull won two titles this weekend. Winning both the shot put and discus, Hull scored 20 of the team’s 128 points in the two events alone. His discus throw of 61.21 meters ranks third in school history. His winning throw in the shot was 17.42 meters.

Head coach Layne Anderson was impressed with the effort and noted that Hull set a facility and meet record in the discus.

Senior Jasmine Simpson took the title for the women’s hammer throw with a toss of 53.13 meters; teammate Ashlyn Gulvas finished third in the hammer throw.

The field events continued to perform well as sophomore Kerry Dean Jr. notched a victory in the triple jump with a mark of 14.13 meters. Elsewhere in the field, sophomore Kevin Spejcher won the high jump with a mark of 2.03m.

Freshman O’Shea Wilson continued an incredible season as he won the long jump with a personal best 7.67 meters. Wilson also competed in the 100-meter dash, finishing third with a time of 10.50.

“We put bits and pieces together today with some solid performances,” director of track and field Larry Wieczorek said in a release. “I am disappointed that we were pretty far behind Illinois in the scoring, but we did see some great highlights today.”

Of those bits and pieces that came through was freshman hurdler Aaron Mallett. His time of 13.98 in the 110-meter hurdles was a personal best and ranks seventh in Iowa history. That mark also puts him near the top nationally, coming in at 25th overall.

Senior Amanda Stahle rewrote the school record book with a personal-best performance in the discus; her toss of 48.34-meter earned her a fifth-place finish at the Illinois Twilight and a fifth all-time ranking at Iowa.

Allison Gattone placed first in the women’s javelin throw with a toss of 37.60 meters.

Freshmen Katharina Trost and Elexis Guster both finished second in their events, Trost in the women’s 1,500 meters and Guster in the 400-meter hurdles.

Iowa’s next meet takes them to Walnut, Calif., to compete in the Mount Sac Relays on Friday and Saturday.