An exploration of sisterhood

In an exploration of the depth of sisterhood, Marion Bridge tells the story of three estranged sisters as they make their way back home to care for their mother. As the small cast prepares to take the stage, the three actors attempt to channel the relationships they have formed with one another, both on and off stage. 

Marion Bridge will be performed at Riverside Theater, 213 N. Gilbert St. , at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Performances will continue through April 13 with 7:30 p.m. showings Thursday-Saturday and 2 p.m. performances Sunday. Admission ranges from $15 to $30.

Jennifer Fawcett, a founding member of Working Group Theater, said the story is tremendously moving because the sisters’ intricate relationships. Fawcett plays the character of Theresa, the middle sister and nun, who travels home to aid her sisters in taking care of their dying mother.

"My character is facing the question so many people face, which is how to be a good person," she said. "How to be the person you want to be, despite the obstacles put in front of you — obstacles often created by those you love the most."

Iowa City native Lisa Margolin, who plays Agnes, is in her first her first professional role in Iowa City, a gratifying experience, she said. She has learned much from Fawcett and cast member Heather Lawler, with whom she attended West High and with whom she participated in a school production.

"This show is set apart by the uniqueness of each actress," Margolin said. "How each of our experiences colors our ideas about the characters we are playing."

Lawler, who plays Louise, a "soap-opera addicted" character, is back at Riverside for her second season after appearing in All My Sons in 2011. The actor said the realistic process of family ties with her cast members helped  to break through walls with one another in order to create a dynamic.

"It helps a lot that we all get along so well in real life," Lawler said. "It just kind of worked out that way. We feel comfortable on stage as well as off stage."

THEATER