13 ex-Hawks perform at pro day

The Iowa football team’s pro day took place Monday, with13 Hawkeyes participating in workouts for scouts from 28 NFL teams — including the New England Patriots, New York Jets, and Cincinnati Bengals, said NFL.com’s Gil Brandt.

Offensive lineman Connor Boffeli upped his vertical jump from the NFL scouting combine from 25 inches to 30 and improved his bench-press total from 21 reps at the combine to 28.

Bengal tight-end coach Jonathan Hayes (a former Hawkeye) put C.J. Fiedorowicz through a workout. Brandt’s takeaway was that Fiedorowicz is OK, that he needs to work on catching the ball, and is a very good blocker.

All three former linebackers — Christian Kirksey, Anthony Hitchens, and James Morris — also partook in the workouts. Kirksey ran the 40-yard dash in 4.5 and 4.52 seconds, posted a 36-inch vertical, a 10-foot broad jump, a 7.07-second three-cone drill time, and a 4.34-second short-shuttle time. Hitchens ran a 4.6 40-yard dash and posted a 4.3-second short-shuttle time.

Morris posted 40-times of 4.6 and 4.59, as well as a 4.17-second short shuttle. Brandt wrote that all three linebackers have little things to improve on if they are to both make the league and excel in it.

Casey Kreiter, Iowa’s former long snapper, also performed. Brandt wrote that Kreiter did 13 strength lifts, gets the ball back with accuracy and velocity, and could be a free-agent pickup following the 2014 NFL draft, which is set for May 8-10.

— by Cody Goodwin