A wearer of many hats

As a performing artist incorporating music, comedy and magic into his shows, it’s no wonder Mike Silverman is called, That 1 Guy as he encompasses so many talents into a single performance.

That 1 Guy will be taking the stage in Iowa City, Sunday March 16 at 8 p.m. at Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington. Admission is $15 to $39.

Being a performer, inventor, songwriter and musician, Silverman has been categorized as a "wearer of many hats."

"I wear two hats when I perform…literally," Silverman said. "I have so many passions that all get crammed into my show. The only way to keep everything working is to make sure it becomes part of the show. Funny thing is that I’m not the best multi-tasker. But everything that I do fits together somehow."

Silverman will play his signature "experimental, earthshaking future funk" music at the show, which he would describe as "more of a vibe."

"It’s rooted in the past, but somehow from the future," Silverman said. "This music was transported here. I’m pretty bad at describing what I do stylistically. Usually I just try and list as many of the fundamental parts of my music and then try and paint a visual picture of how I make the music. It always sounds abstract the way I describe it."

For now, Silverman is looking forward to interacting with his fans during his show in Iowa City.

"I’m lucky to have such amazing fans," Silverman said. "I feel a very strong unconditional support for what I’m trying to do. I feel they want to see me push my crafts forward and I feel that I owe them my best work."

– by Jennifer Hoch