Summer of the Arts announces 2014 season

Warm summer weather may seem far away now, but the city of Iowa City’s Summer of the Arts is preparing for its 2014 festival season.

Today at 11 a.m. in the Sheraton Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St., the Summer of the Arts will invite members of the media and the public to the official announcement regarding main-stage performers and entertainment for the following summer events: Iowa Arts Festival, MusicIC, Iowa City Jazz Festival, Iowa Soul Festival, Friday Night Concert Series, Saturday Night Concert Series, and Free Movie Series.

Lunch will also be provided at the event by Clinton Street Social Club, 18 1/2 S. Clinton St., in addition to the musical stylings of Iowa native jazz vocalist Jessica Egli.

Originally created in 2005, Summer of the Arts is a nonprofit organization that supports local arts and culture events. It started with four founding festivals, the Iowa Arts Festival, Iowa City Jazz Festival, Friday Night Concert Series, and Free Movie Series. The goal was to bring marketing and fundraising efforts to the events, while also keeping the identity of each festival distinct.

Since its start, Summer of the Arts has added Sand in the City, the Saturday Night Concert Series, MusicIC, and the Iowa Soul Festival to its program.

Summer of the Arts strives to bring people together in Iowa City during the summer months to experience, learn about, and enjoy the arts.

— by Samantha Gentry