The Box Score: Sam Logic edition

The land of Big Ten women’s basketball is dominated by stories of high-scoring players, putting up more than 20 points per game, but not much else beyond the first category of the box score.

Sam Logic’s numbers tell a different story. Her box scores are stuffed in numrous categories, game in and game out. The junior floor general has notched two triple-double efforts this season, the biggest coming in Iowa’s upset of then-No. 9 Penn State on Feb. 6, when she tallied 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists. Logic followed up that effort with a 20-point, 10-assist, 8-rebound performance three nights later against Northwestern.

The native of Racine, Wis. averages 13.8 points per game, 8.2 assists, and 6.5 rebounds per game in an average of 33 minutes per game. With all that she does for her team, she should be a lock for Big Ten Player of the Year — but that’s not the case.

However, the numbers say otherwise.

Assists: 90 in conference play, 8.2 per game — First in the Big Ten

Logic has been one of the best passers in the Big Ten since her freshman year. As a freshman, she started every game and finished fifth in the conference in assists with 136, an Iowa freshman record. As a sophomore, Logic broke the single-season assist record with 217.

Twenty-two games into her junior campaign, Logic has notched 158 assists. Should the Hawkeyes play in 34 games, as they did last season, and should she continue to average 8.2 assists per game, she will shatter her own record with 256 in a single season.

The pass has always been a crucial part of Logic’s game. But despite the 8 assists per game, she’s still managing to average more than 13 points in her junior campaign, thanks to high quality shot selection.

Field-goal percentage: .496 — Tenth in Big Ten

Logic has increased her scoring averages by 4 points since her sophomore season, jumping from 9.6 to 13.8 with ease. The guard hops in and out of scoring depending on the game. She has had games this season where she has scored fewer than 10 points — she scored only 2 against North Carolina-Wilmington — and has scored more than 20 points numerous times.

Bluder asked Logic to pick up the scoring this season because of the team’s lack of depth, and the junior has responded. There are times when Logic has been the only player rallying her team, although most of these efforts have resulted in a loss. While Logic may not take a lot of shots, when she does, they’re going in.

Rebounds: 79 in conference play, 6.5 per game — 10th in the Big Ten

Despite standing only 5-9, Logic has a strong will to rebound. Her defense is rigid, and when the ball comes her way, there’s a good chance she’ll grab it.

Logic is one of three guards who make appearances on the Big Ten list of top rebounders — the other seven play in the post. Logic, as does freshman Ally Disterhoft, has more rebounds than center Bethany Doolittle.

Logic has always had an uncanny ability to crash the boards, and it has resulted in her being the leading rebounder for her team in numerous games.

Steals: 32 in conference play, 2.9 per game — First in the Big Ten

Logic’s defense is highly regarded around the conference, and one of the biggest ways it is shown is through steals, an area in which Logic excels. Her speed is underrated, and her ability to predict where the ball is going is uncanny.

It’s a pivotal trait for the Hawkeyes, who thrive on running a fast-paced offense, and that starts with creating turnovers, which usually comes down to Logic getting her hands on a pass.

Minutes played: 416, 37.8 average — Fifth in the Big Ten

Only Northwestern’s Maggie Lyon has played more minutes than Logic, and it’s only by 60 seconds. Because Iowa lacks depth, having Logic on the floor as much as possible is crucial for Iowa’s success.

Every part of Iowa’s offense runs through Logic, and it’s evident when she’s not on the floor. If the conference is looking for a player who does more than score, arguably no player plays a more pivotal role or fills the box score as much or as well as Iowa’s floor general.