Local band performs second show

One might wonder how a band could come up with the name Teen Daad. The words may not make much sense, but guitarist Jeff Roalson said picking a name for the group took a long time, and it was not a fun process.

“We kind of just wrote down a bunch of words that sounded good together, and it probably took a month to land on something,” he said. “But I guess it sounded slightly funny and easily searchable.”

Teen Daad will perform its second show as a band at 9 p.m. Saturday at Blue Moose, 211 Iowa. Admission is $5.

The band consists of a guitarist/vocalist, a bassist, and a drummer. A standard for most bands is four members, but in this case, the number plays to the group’s advantage. Roalson, who is also a member of the band the Olympics, said the smaller group is something he prefers.

“It’s awesome, for the most part,” he said. “I have played in bigger groups, and it just simplifies the writing process and just getting to a show is way easier. Our bassist Zach [Zeimer] is a professional drummer, and it’s just been super helpful having two heads when it comes to the rhythm section.”

Drummer Noel Nissen was also a part of the Olympics, and once he and Roalson started to jam together, they realized they could start a band on their own. Roalson’s motivation was he could write more songs he felt needed to be heard. 

“I have been the main singer/songwriter for the Olympics, but I wasn’t the one who was always initiating songs,” he said. “I just wanted to do something with these songs, and another friend, Zach, started jamming, so we three just got together, and we worked it into a three piece.”

Teen Daad unveiled the band on Jan. 1, and the members have released a four-song EP available for download online. Roalson describes the music as “indie-garage, pop, kind of.”

“At this point, we are kind of playing with our EP; out of the four songs, nothing of them sounded super identical,” Roalson said.

The group also released a music video, and the members plan on touring, but Nissen said they intend to stay close to home at first.

“We’re trying to get up to some other cities in the Midwest and just some other areas around here,” Nissen said. “We’re definitely still writing more stuff and definitely plan on releasing something else sometime this year.”

Zeimer may be the most versatile member of the band.

“My forte is the drum set, and I used to play the tuba,” he said. “I have a background in what it takes to lay down foundation, and I really like these guys, so it worked.”