Iowa downs No. 9 Penn State, 73-70

The last time the Iowa women’s basketball team played Penn State, it lost, 87-71. A matchup that pitted two of the Big Ten’s top point guards — Sam Logic and Maggie Lucas — failed to live up to the expectations.

When the two teams met again on Thursday night, not only did the matchup live up to the expectations, it exceeded them.

In Iowa’s 73-70 win over No. 9 Penn State, Logic proved why some consider her to be one of the elite guards in the Big Ten. She came through for the Hawkeyes time after time and finished with her second triple-double of the season.

Logic closed with a stat line of 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists. But this play has become somewhat expected by many, especially her coach.

“That’s just crazy,” Lisa Bluder said. “Most people dream about that. But she is [a triple-double] every night waiting to happen. It’s unbelievable.”

But in Iowa’s first road win against an AP top-10 opponent since 1993, Logic was not alone. In fact, she was far from it.

In the first matchup between these two teams, Disterhoft was still coming off of the bench for the Hawkeyes. But in the second go-around, she made her fifth-straight start. And for the fifth-straight time, she finished in double-digits.

Disterhoft certainly didn’t act like a freshman playing her first top-10 opponent. She scored a game-high 26 points on 9-of-10 shooting and added 5 boards. The Iowa City native was also key for the Hawkeyes down the stretch, sinking the Hawkeyes’ final two free throws, which put them ahead by 3.

“Great night for her,” Bluder said. “One that I am sure she’s going to remember for a long time.”

“We were really cognizant of where she was tonight,” Bluder said. “We played a lot of zone tonight … She got her points, but 5 in the second half, that’s pretty big.” 

The only meaningful statistical category that Penn State had the advantage over Iowa in was rebounds, which it won, 45-30.

For Iowa, the win pushes its overall record to 18-6 and its conference record to 6-4. The Hawkeyes have won four of their last five.

Up next for Iowa is Northwestern on Feb. 10 in Carver-Hawkeye. This game will not only be a chance for Iowa to win its 11th game at home, it will also be an opportunity for Bluder to become the Iowa women’s basketball coach with the most victories.

“It gives us that signature win,” she said about the road win. “It gives it to us on the road, which is harder.”