Dark, classy, and loud

Etnik has never been to America, but in his first visit to the States, he is going to have the chance to perform with dub-step superstar Skrillex.

Following that performance, the techno DJ will bring his signature "dark, classy, and loud" live show to Iowa City.

"I really don’t know what to expect, but I know people should expect some good European techno," he said.

The musician will take the stage at 10 p.m. Friday at Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St. Admission ranges from $10 to $12.

Etnik received a huge break when he was invited to play with Skrillex. While he has enjoyed a great amount of success in a short amount of time, the DJ knew this was going to be the case; he said he started entertaining people as soon as he was "able to think."

"I started making music when I was really young, but no one ever got to actually listen to my stuff before I started playing DJ gigs," he said. "When I uploaded my first tracks to Soundcloud, everything happened really quickly. I’m still amazed to see how fast things spread around the world via Internet."

One of the reasons Etnik received the recognition he wanted was because his style was previously unheard, especially in Europe.

"It’s important to me to have a high recognition value," Etnik said. "My И-logo, my sound and performance, as well as stage outfits and visuals are all part of a whole concept."

Jordan Farley of Rain EDM, the team that will bring Etnik to Iowa City, said the show at Gabe’s is Etnik’s first headliner.

"Etnik will undoubtedly be one of the many DJs pushing techno as a new standard for EDM and bringing the music style out of the underground scene," Farley said. "He is one of the most looked-at DJs right now — just wait for him to explode after he reaches the States."

During his trip to the United States, Etnik hopes to push his unorthodox music in a country in which exposure potential is incredibly high.

Pete McCarthy of Gabe’s said he just accepted Etnik’s offer.

"A lot of the big techno shows like the one this Friday are done by outside promoters," McCarthy said. ",Essentially we allow them to bring in an act, and we promote and provide the space."

Etnik shows little sign of slowing down. He has almost 10,000 likes on Facebook, and that is before his music breaks down the U.S. barrier.

"I want to release more music more quickly," Etnik said. "And of course, a breakthrough in the United States with my European sound would be great."

MUSIC