Acclaimed singer/songwriter Stevens to appear

Originally from North Carolina, where she grew up in a musical family, singer/songwriter Becca Stevens has written and performed music for as long as she can remember (she began singing in her family’s band when she was 2, her website reports).

Her songs encompass three genres, pop, jazz, and folk, drawing elements from each. Jazz veterans such as Kurt Elling have been quick to accept her.

The Becca Stevens Band will perform at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., at 9 p.m. today. Admission is $10.

The songs she writes have a heavy focus on lyrics, employing what she calls "poetic observation." She is also noted for having remarkable control over her voice, as well as being able to easily achieve an urgent quality.

Her unique sound has led to acclaim from the Boston Phoenix and the New York Times, which cited Stevens’ sound as "both wistful and determined."

The Becca Stevens Band includes Liam Robinson, who has worked with such artists as Bob Dylan and Rosanne Cash and plays keyboards and accordion. Chris Tordini plays bass, and Jordan Perlson handles the percussion. Stevens plays guitar and ukulele.

The band members met during Stevens’ time attending the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in New York City, where she received a B.F.A. in vocal jazz and composition. They released their first album, Tea by the Sea, in 2008.

Recently, Stevens began acting, appearing in a number of shows put on by the Adirondack Shakespeare Company, including the lead role in As You Like It. When not on tour, Stevens uses her time to teach music.

— by Isaac Hamlet