Subs Cure Munchies

It’s 4:20 somewhere.

A favorite of many Iowa City students, for more than one reason. I would guess it’s because of all the healthy vegetables.

Is there a better way to help clear your head after finals? Unless you’re finding it at a bar, I doubt it.

So why not try an alternative option?

Cheba Hut is known for its "toasted" subs, and like every comment I can make about this college-town favorite, everything in the shop has a theme of or refers to cannabis.

The entire menu seems to reference different kinds of herbs, such as Mary Jane, White Widow, and dessert "munchies" — my, are they delicious.

Even though they know what every menu option has on it, you wouldn’t ever be able to guess by the name alone. So read that menu carefully, or have your buddy do it while you put some eye-drops in.

It’s really easy to see who is too chicken, or too happy, to order something adventurous. Almost everybody orders the White Widow. My advice? Don’t.

Even the sizes make every red-eyed patron giggle; you can order a nug, a pinner, or for those with greedy eyes, the blunt.

No matter what, you’re picking up some good stuff. If you hear a list of awesome names, just go with the most ridiculous sounding one.

Needless to say, I found it. It was right in front of me … the Darth Vader — salami, bacon, jalapeños, and pepper-jack cheese.

I got a pinner size — my coffee and coffee diet has really reduced the size of my stomach, so my tolerance was pretty low.

The first bite had me experience every flavor the sandwich had. The crisp of the bread, the savory salami, the bodacious bacon, and the pepper-jack cheese. What a delicious ensemble of tastes, all rolled into one toasted pinner. I was eager for my next "hit."

But then the jalapeños kicked in. I immediately was feeling the effects of my temporary food hiatus.

I even had Pineapple Express to help, which is Cheba Hut’s take on green tea, but it was only mildly successful in helping with what I imagine is a common issue with Rastafarians and activists alike.

The banana peppers I added only provided a mild bite of sweetness, helpless and ineffective against its jalapeño counterpart.

I don’t feel like I had much taste of the salami or bacon, I had the texture of it, but the jalapeño’s spice dominated the sandwich.

Not to say that I wasn’t stuffed after, it’s definitely enough to cure your munchies.