Branstad names new communication director

Gov. Terry Branstad’s communications director has decided to pursue a job in the private sector. His replacement will be the Branstad-Reynolds campaign communications director who is also a University of Iowa graduate.

Tim Albrecht, who has served as the five-term governor’s communications director since November 2009, will pursue an unspecified job in the private sector. His last day will be Dec. 13.

“The opportunity to work as communications director in the Governor’s Office is one I have worked toward my entire career, and I am so excited I could serve the people of Iowa in this capacity under Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. [Kim] Reynolds, who each set a strong example of hard work, dedication, and passion for the state,” Albrecht said in a statement.

Branstad and Reynolds thanked the 36-year-old Ida Grove, Iowa, native for work in improving the online presence of the state government and for his efforts during three legislative sessions.

“Tim’s embrace of social media, online tools, and overall messaging was a benefit to nearly every department and agency in state government,” Branstad said in a statement. “I have really enjoyed working with Tim, and I wish him all the best in his new opportunity.”

Albrecht added while he may be moving to the private sector, he intends to remain involved in Republican causes and in a possible Branstad-Reynolds campaign.

“I intend to remain involved with Republican causes and will continue to assist the Branstad-Reynolds campaign, should they choose to run again,” he said. “With significant job growth, a return to a balanced state budget, and education reform well on its way, Iowa is enjoying a strong comeback.”

Twenty-six year-old Jimmy Centers, a native of Peoria, Ill., will take over for Albrecht. Centers graduated from the UI with a degree in political science and served as the Northeast Iowa field director on the 2010 Branstad-Reynolds campaign, later serving as the administration’s deputy communications director.

Centers’ replacement will be named within the coming days, and Albrecht emphasized they will work to ensure a smooth transition in the governor’s office.

“Jimmy Centers is a talented professional, and he is going to excel in this new position,” Albrecht said. “We will ensure that a smooth transition takes place.”

— by Brent Griffiths