Week off important to heal up, prepare for the remainder of the season

The women’s swimming and diving team has the weekend off, and many members of the team say it couldn’t have come at a better time.

With injuries starting to become a factor for some, fixing those and preventing new ones are a major focus in the coming weeks.

“There are a few injuries, and we’re trying to fix those right now and pay attention to those in the future, because our focus is really in December and the Hawkeye Invitational,” senior Emily Horven said.

Head coach Marc Long agreed with, and he knows how important getting the women back in the pool is for his team.

“We work great with our athletics trainers and our strength coaches, it’s really just communication and modifying things to get them ready to go,” he said.

Senior Becky Stoughton said this weekend away from the men’s team will be a positive thing.

“It especially gives time for the girls to bond and get ready for the next ones,” she said.

For those who are not injured, this week is all about getting ready for the next part of the season and avoiding any hiccups in their training or competition.

“We’re switching some things around this week, a couple things are different,” Horven said. “We usually do our really big effort sprints are on Wednesday, where this week we did that on Tuesday. It’s switching things like that around because the boys are gone this weekend.”

In addition, there is even more change if the meet isn’t in Iowa City. Hotels and travel can throw off a team, which can play into the hands of the competition unless a closely followed routine is established.

“When we travel, we just don’t get in the water a lot on Thursdays and Fridays because we have to travel,” Stoughton said.

With next week’s meet being at Nebraska, the drive isn’t far, but the thought is that this off week would be even more effective if the Black and Gold were home next week.

“I think it’s good regardless, I mean it would be more if we were home, but I think it will help us focus in, especially since it’s an environment that we’re familiar in,” Horven said.

No matter what the situation going in, Long feels that this week will be beneficial for everyone, no matter what their injury situation is.

“We’re always thinking about the end of the year,” he said. “This week is still a great training and preparation week to head into our championship season.