A Double Dose of EDM

Electronic music  is quite the craze among college students. Artists in electronic dance music use their computers to generate soundtracks consisting of drums, bass, and synths to create futuristic sounds. Electronic group K Theory is part of this culture, but the members bring their own style to thescene.

K Theory will bring its signature break-beat method of creating music to Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St., at 10 p.m. today. Admission ranges from $8 to $13.

It is extremely difficult to describe the music the band from San Francisco creates. Member Dustin Musser said there are mixes of all different genres.

“There are hints of blues, rock, indie, funk, hip-hop, classical, all fused with a heavily melodic electronic element,” he said.

The combination of sounds grew from many different inspirations.

“There is no other way to describe our music other than K Theory,” said member Dylan Lewman.

“We have such a diverse variety of influences in our soundscape that it would be a convoluted answer.”

Although the music may have derived from various backgrounds, the live shows are set up in a way in which the music is concise and accurate.

Live shows and festivals are as big a part of the scene as the actual music is, and the K Theory guys will keep this in mind for their performance in Iowa City.

“This will be our first time in Iowa City; [we] heard they get down over there,” the two said.

The two are happy to perform in college markets because it provides a different vibe and feel from the bigger markets such as San Francisco.

“College markets are really great to perform in, because most of the attendees are very open-minded to new music, and we can really get a gauge on how the general demographic is going to interpret our music,” Lewman said.

Not only do college towns provide a new atmosphere, the fans are often younger. K Theory enjoys the energy students bring to the shows.

“They tend to rage a little harder, because some colleges are in smaller markets,” Lewman said.

K Theory released a new single called “Turn Me Up” just last week. The two members said the single is more of a “club song.”

“[It’s] something that people can get crazy and down to while having a good time,” Musser said.

The members plan to release a couple of albums in the next six months. They have a mid-tempo compilation releasing in the fall, along with an artist album in the first quarter of 2014. They feel prepared to continue their momentum from previous releases.

With numerous singles landing on the charts, K Theory is on the rise in the music industry.