The Cure to your Cold

All these sick people in Iowa City … And I get looked at funny for not looking like a zombie in class.

For whatever reason, whether it’s because you threw your inhibitions to the wind because they looked oh-so-cute after you champed all of those mugs, shared a smoke with a rando, or even did something entirely innocent, like shared a meal or notes … You’re sick.

You know it, your class knows it, you can’t hide it.

And you’re pretty gross. So take one day off.

Life isn’t slowing down, though, so I thought I’d spend a little time trying to help all my peers who are currently making me use hand sanitizer like a germaphobe.

Besides the typical “increase your liquids,” I thought I would help you with some soul food. And because I’m not counting on you being able to cook, I even found where you can just pick it up and walk home.

Back to that cozy den where your seasons of television shows flow like a river.

Or, if you’re really trying to help someone out, I’m not sure there’s a better way to do so than to stuff their stomachs with goodness.

When I wanted to make some delicious soup in a bread bowl, I came to a realization.

I can’t make bread, and my Achilles tendon of the kitchen involves broth-y-based dishes. But somehow, I can pull off nearly café-quality dishes. Well, depending on the soup that you put in.

I’m not sick, but this cooler weather requires a little bit warmer nourishment than usual. So I wandered into Bread Garden Market. Nothing makes me happier than a warm loaf of carbs. I walked back, following the smell of cooked bread and the sourdough bread bowls really jumped off the rack at me.

But I can’t cook soup …

Luckily for them, I didn’t even want to have to open a can to finish this recipe. I walked over to the food station and found a chicken rice soup, because the other ones looked really unsettling, either being very adventurous or just unsettling under the light, it didn’t make them more appealing to me.

Either way, I went with it and put the soup on a low heat while I cut the top off of the bread, you know, like a bread bowl. That means you gotta scoop out the insides, but it also means you get a bunch of sourdough to snack on while your soup is heating up.

Pour your soup into the bowl, and feel like a true chef.

Of course, you don’t have to rely on soup from a stand to fill up your bowls. And honestly, for the price and taste, I would suggest your favorite canned soup. But you can’t get the bread bowls from a can … Yet.

Dibs on that idea, but until then, feel better Iowa City.