No. 10 Stanford blanks No. 8 Hawkeyes

When Niki Schultheis was asked how she felt after her team’s loss to No. 10 Stanford (5-1), her words were reflective of Iowa’s performance on Sunday afternoon.

“I’ve been better,” the senior said.

The eighth-ranked Hawkeye field hockey squad has played better — a lot better.

Head coach Tracey Griesbaum was very disappointed with her team’s performance after the 2-0 loss dropped her team to 4-2 on the season. The 14-year head coach noted that some of her players looked tired and turnovers killed the Hawkeyes.

“It was absolutely the worst game that we’ve had yet this season,” Griesbaum said. “It was disappointing because I felt really well-prepared for the game, and I felt that we understood what Stanford was going to show.”

The highlight of the first half for the Hawkeyes was one of their minimal scoring chances of the afternoon. Freshman Steph Norlander fouled a Stanford player and caused a Cardinal penalty corner, but the Hawkeye defense stopped the attack and rushed up the pitch. However, the Cardinal defense shut down the chance and kept the score knotted at 0.

Stanford’s first goal came at the end of a rain-soaked first half on a penalty corner. The call was made with only a few seconds remaining on the clock, and the play took place after the horn sounded.

Senior Courtney Haldeman deflected the ball past goalkeeper Kelsey Boyce to give her team a 1-0 lead heading into the break.

“Let’s say that wasn’t in our game plan — it wasn’t the greatest thing to do,” Schultheis said. “We can’t give up a corner at that point, just because you go into the second half and you’re down.”

The score turned out to be all Stanford would need. However, Kelsey Harbin added a tally for insurance on a penalty corner at the 45:38 mark of the game. The junior scored on a penalty stroke after a ruling by the official that upset many of the Hawkeye faithful at Grant Field.

From the Hawkeye standpoint, the second half was worse than the first. The team posted a mere one shot in the period — a Natalie Cafone stroke from in close that ricocheted off the side of the Cardinal net.

“We generated one shot in the second half — that’s not going to beat anybody,” Griesbaum said.

After the game, Stanford head coach Tara Danielson chalked up part of her squad’s success to staying disciplined throughout the match.

“I think it was a total team effort,” the four-year head coach said. “I don’t think there was any particular standout; I think everyone contributed and did her role really well.”

The shutout is the third straight for Stanford goalkeeper Dulcie Davies.