Throwdown at the 4-H Hoedown

Hot temperatures won’t stop the 4-H Hoe-down Throwdown from welcoming students back on campus.

Celebrating its second year, the Hoe-down is back with an obstacle course including but not limited to a corn dig, corn-husk throw, hay-bale course, water balloon tossing, sack races, tie blanket tying, milking, and identifying things from Iowa.

Students can come in teams of four or will be put together upon arrival. Each team will compete for Hawkeye prizes.

The event will begin at 4 p.m. Sept. 1 in Hubbard Park. Admission is free and open to the public.

Certainly, the University of Iowa is nothing compared with Iowa State in the agriculture field, but the event will spotlight eastern Iowa’s 4-H chapters.

The event provides an outlet for students to complete a service project, improve their communication skills, and take on leadership responsibilities through their groups.

Bethany Welsh, the founder of the UI Collegiate 4-H, believes it will bring the spirit of county fairs and agriculture to the university.

“The event focuses a lot on Iowa as a whole and gives students the chance to meet new people and bond with friends within their competitive groups,” she said.

Welsh and former 4-H members, from various high schools, were looking for a way to continue the organization at the college level and recruit new members.

So, they created the student organization in the spring of 2011.

Collegiate 4-H encompasses service, leadership, and communication, which are all showcased in the obstacle course.

The group also partners with the Johnson County Extension to assist with youth 4-H events.

UI student Morgan Miller, who attended the event last year, said last year’s event was a success.

“With a mechanical bull and free ice cream, most people enjoyed themselves even when the weather was cold,” Miller said.

The organization decided to move the event to August not only for weather purposes, but they also believed it would be a great way to welcome new students to Iowa.

Trisha Nelson, the Collegiate 4-H treasurer, hopes for a great turnout, especially with warmer weather this year.

“I believe it’s nice to see agriculture on campus, since it’s such a rarity,” she said.

Collegiate 4-H Throwdown