Beer of the Week: Rubaeus Pure 8.3% ABV

Name: Rubaeus Pure 8.3 percent ABV

Serving Style: Bottle to pint glass

Since beginning my beer column, I haven’t reviewed many fruity beers. This isn’t because I don’t like them but because I haven’t had all that many to feel confident when I speak on how it measures up to the style. Point being, take the numerical ratings with a grain of salt.

I’ve always been quite fond of Founders, and the Rubaeus only improves my opinion on the brewery. It’s fantastically thirst-quenching and a great pick sure to please all at their Fourth of July party.

Smell: As you’d expect, mostly raspberries in the aroma along with grapes and malts. With a blindfold on, you might think it was a tasty juice if not for the slightest hint of alcohol. 4.5/5

Appearance: A deep maroon color with a thin fizzy head this dissipates with a loud fizz. The consistency is extremely thin with no visible glass lacing, simple but enticing. 4/5

Taste: I was extremely impressed the second the ale hit my tongue. There’s a fantastic balance of sweet and tart flavors combined with a vanilla and bready dryness. The flavor really seems to seep into the tongue in an appetizing way. 4.5/5

Fans of fruity beers, Summer Shandy or Mike’s Hard Lemonade, will love this beer if they’re adventurous enough to break from the norm.  13/15