Summer of the Arts

From art and cultural festivals to concert series and movie festivals, the Iowa City Summer of the Arts program hosts a variety of free, family-friendly events. Summer of the Arts began in 2005 with four festivals, and has since added two weekly concert series, a weekly movie series, and a variety of smaller events.

MusicIC: Where Music and Literature Meet:

MusicIC is a four-concert music festival that combines chamber music with literature. Each concert features different musicians and literary works. From today through Saturday, MusicIC will perform three 7:30 p.m. concerts, then a 2 p.m. June 16 family concert. The concerts today and Friday will take place at Trinity Episcopal Church, 320 E. College St. Saturday night’s concert will be performed at the Englert Theater, 221 E. Washington St. The  afternoon concert will take place at the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St.

Friday Night Concert Series:

Summer of the Arts hosts a concert each Friday from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at the Weatherdance Fountain Stage, located outside of the Sheraton Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St. On Friday, people can enjoy the live music from Tallgrass.

Saturday Night Concert Series:

On Saturday, the Recliners will perform as part of the Saturday Night Concert Series. Similar to the Friday Night Concert Series, the series is held each Saturday from 6:30-9 p.m. at the Weatherdance Fountain Stage, featuring more non-local bands.

Free Movie Series:

The east side of Macbride Hall is the home of the Free Movie Series on Saturday nights. Bring a blanket or chairs and enjoy free movies beginning at sunset (between 8:15 and 9 p.m.). Additionally, guests are encouraged to visit the Museum of Natural History for free prior to the movie. On Saturday, the Free Movie Series will present Victor/Victoria (PG).

Iowa City Jazz Festival:

The Iowa City Jazz Festival will take place July 5-7. Ranked one of the top-10 jazz festivals in the country, this year’s festival will feature four stages of live jazz, fireworks on July 5, and an expanded children’s FUN Zone located on Iowa Avenue.