Jazz and Western swing band Hot Club of Cowtown will perform for a sold-out crowd

The Englert Theater, 221 E. Washington St., will swing with the acoustic sounds of one of the world’s most well-known mixes of jazz and Western-swing bands, Hot Club of Cowtown. The band will perform for a sold-out crowd at 7 p.m. May 19.

Hot Club of Cowtown is a trio made up of Elana James, Whit Smith, and Jake Erwin, who blend the sounds of vocals, fiddle, guitar, and bass to add their unique sound to some of history’s classical pieces, such as their version of “Dark Eyes,” and their original songs.

All of their songs will be featured on their new album, Rendezvous in Rhythm, scheduled to be released on May 28.

“We are incredibly excited to host Hot Club of Cowtown’s first visit to the Englert. They add fun diversity to our schedule,” said Nathan Gould, the Englert marketing director. “As one of the premier jazz/Western swing groups, it will be very special to see them perform in an intimate style, on-stage with the audience.”

The Texas group has been touring together since its start in the late-1990s, and it has made a name for itself not only in the United Statees, but across most of Europe, where the root of their inspiration lies for this eighth studio album.

As they wind down this Midwestern leg of their tour, the three will reportedly bring the “twinkling lights of Paris” to Iowa City with their energetically romantic new set.

>>Click here to see a sample Hot Club of Cowtown performing live.