Local man, woman accused of stealing several rings

One man and one woman were accused of stealing several rings that are valued at more than $15,000.

Stacy Levell, 40, was charged March 10 with first-degree theft and was charged Feb. 10 with third-degree theft. Melissa Levell, 38, was charged March 10 with first-degree theft.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, the victim informed Iowa City police officials that both Stacy and Melissa Levell visited the victim on March 10 at his residence.

The victim said they took the jewelry that his wife left to him after her death, which included 12 rings that were valued at more than $15,000, the complaint said.

Stacy visited the victim’s house and admitted to stealing the rings because he needed rent money and pawned the rings at Money and More pawnshop, the complaint said. The victim also told officials that Stacy asked if he could borrow some more money as well.

Police officials went to the pawnshop and found that both Stacy and Melissa pawned 11 of the stolen rings for $1,307, however the most expensive ring was not pawned there, the complaint said.

According to a separate Iowa City police complaint, Stacy was also involved in a separate incident. Stacy was a cab driver for Marco’s Taxi.

During an audit of his logs, officials discovered that he had been falsifying the daily totals on her log sheets and keeping the difference in the amounts, the complaint said.

Stacy admitted to his manager that he was falsifying the amounts and keeping the money and promised that it wouldn’t happen again when first confronted about the incident, the complaint said.

However in a subsequent audit, officials discovered that Stacy was falsifying his logs again and had stolen a total of $703.30.

First-degree theft is a Class-C felony. Third-degree theft is an aggravated misdemeanor.