Reception honors Iowa City Fire Chief Andy Rocca in his retirement

Iowa City Fire Chief Andy Rocca celebrated his retirement Monday afternoon.

Rocca rose through the ranks of the department during his nearly 35 years of service. He was appointed fire chief on Feb. 26, 1996. Between 1996 and today, Rocca boosted the Iowa City Fire Department’s Insurance Services Organization Public Protection Classification from a Class 4 to a Class 2.

This rating, which dictates costs for insurance premiums, is an important indicator of the strength of a city’s fire department. A Class 2 rating is nearly unheard of — only 1.5 percent of fire-protection areas across the United States are awarded the rating.

Rocca said he feels that his services to the Fire Department were important for different reasons.

“I don’t know that I personally have a greatest accomplishment,” he said. “When I think back to all the people I’ve come in contact with, I think I’m most proud of the relationships I’ve built with my coworkers, with City Hall and so on. It’s humbling to see so many people here today.”

Joe Campanelli, a longtime friend and fellow member of the Optimus Group, said that Rocca’s official presence will be greatly missed now that his retirement is instated.

“He is a very well-respected person by his peers as well as by the community,” Campanelli said.