Beer of the Week: Eagle Claw Fist Imperial Amber Ale

Product of: Clown Shoes, Massachusetts

Serving Size: 1 pint, 6 fluid ounces, 8 percent ABV

Serving Style: Glass pint

Sporting one of the most entertaining label and description I’ve ever come across, Eagle Claw Fist Imperial Amber Ale provides a literal punch to the palate, “kung fu, junior-high playground style.”

Smell: Spring allergies have debilitated me a little in this category, but what I am getting is wonderful: caramel sweetness, tropical fruits, such as mango, pineapple, and grapefruit, floral notes, bread crusts and an alcoholic finish. It’s fainter to me than I suppose it normally would be, but it’s still fantastic. 4.9/5

Appearance: A light, delicate, and creamy three-finger head is the first signpost that this is going to be a great beer, while a medium amber body, lingering glass lacing and light carbonation seal the deal. 4.5/5

Taste: The label promises three types of hops, Columbus, Centennial, and Citra. Although you may not be able to identify each individually in the flavor, the hops are as brilliant a combination as forward step, elbow strike, round house kick. Light citrus notes, caramel, pine, and nutty flavors show that these brewers have meditated on the style to achieve an enlightened flavor. 4.4/5

If you like beers that wallop you with hops, I highly recommend sparring with Clown Shoes’ Eagle Claw Fist. As the label suggests, you’ll encounter both “the grace and power of a Shaolin monk.” 13.8/15