UI College of Education launches new brand following fall controversy

Officials say the launch of the University of Iowa College of Education’s new brand honors the past and looks forward to the future.

On May 3, the College of Education launched its new brand, “Leaders, Scholars, and Innovators,” by throwing a launch party. Interim Dean Nicholas Colangelo said the new brand is more than a new look.

“We wanted a look that says we’ve been here, we’ve really accomplished a lot, but we’re moving toward a vibrant future,” he said.

UI Provost P. Barry Butler said he thinks the new brand is representative of what the college is.

“The College of Education’s new brand, ‘Leaders. Scholars. Innovators,’ speaks volumes about its strengths,” he wrote in an email. “I support the initiative and extend my appreciation to Interim Dean Colangelo for his forward-looking approach to advancing the college.”

Colangelo said the launch is a showing of how strong the college is despite past incidents.

“The timing is good in the sense that I think it really reflects the cohesiveness and coherence in the college today,” he said. “I think what it is it reflects exactly where we are today.”

Last semester, a breakdown in communication between faculty and administrators in the college ultimately led to the resignation of then-Dean Margaret Crocco. Jessica Jensen, a graduate student in the college, said the new brand shows the unity of the school.

“Obviously, we are rebuilding the college a little bit,” she said. “And I think any time you have a transition point like that, it is important to show unity [and] to show no mater what happens, we’re still moving forward as a college together.”

The photos on the banners and posters feature individuals as leaders, scholars, or innovators.

“One of my biggest recommendations is to try to get rid of the grin-and-grip yearbook photos,” said designer Kevin Mellen in a presentation. “What I’m recommending is very active photography.”

Jill Fishbaugh, the college’s director of strategic communications who was involved in the creation of the new brand, she said the message they are conveying was the product of several focus groups.

“The people who make up this college go out and effect change and solve problems because of the education that they receive here,” she said. “[Leaders, Scholars, and Innovators] was the resonating message that it seemed that all of the people affiliated with this college represent.”

Greg Hamot, a UI professor of teaching and learning, said it looks appealing and the message comes across well.

“The substance of it very much encapsulates what this college means to people and for people in regards to scholarship, the community, and the students,” he said.