Beer of the Week: Straffe Hendrik

Product of: De Halve Maan Brewery, Bruges, Belgium

Serving Style: 1 pint 9.4 fluid ounces, 11 percent ABV

A face on a crescent moon on a burgundy label beckons you to try a Belgian beer championed as one of the best in its style. While chocolate is not required, it comes highly recommended.

Smell: Fruity but elusively so; the aroma is dashingly seductive and difficult to nail down. Vanilla and cherries are the stars, but everyone will likely pick up on something different but fantastic in this department. 5/5

Appearance: A dark garnet body with steady carbonation supports a sandy-beige head. Extremely chunky glass lacing and a thin consistency elevate its appearance to downright mysterious. 4.7/5

Taste: The flavor is extremely intense and probably not for the average beer drinker, but that is in no way a criticism. The flavor profile is malty and undoubtedly complex, but in the mix are scents of raisins, caramel, barley, cinnamon, and dark cherries. The finish has a bitter bite that softens as you become more familiar with it. 4.8/5

Overall: A fantastically brewed beer that gives proper attention to each sense. While not for the average beer drinker or for regular consumption, its complicated flavors and seductive aromas will inspire a salacious thirst in any beer connoisseur looking to commemorate a special occasion with a magnificent quadruple.14.5/15