Iowa men’s gymnastics closes regular season in meet against Illinois-Chicago Saturday

Saturday will be the last home dual meet for five Hawkeye seniors: Brody Shemansky, Javier Balboa, Todd Becker, Anton Gryshayev, and Matt McGrath. All will be honored following the meet.

Last time out, Iowa did not see the results the gymnasts hped for in a tri-meet against Minnesota and host Nebraska on March 16. Despite posting a respectable team score of 426.300, the Hawkeyes were unable to overcome strong performances by the Cornhuskers and Gophers and finished third.

The Hawkeyes are ranked 10th nationally by GymInfo, five spots ahead of Illinois-Chicago, which comes in to the meet with an average score of 408.267. Iowa has averaged 425.517 this season.

After the conclusion of the meet, the Black and Gold will set their sights on the Big Ten championships. The annual competition is scheduled to begin April 5 in the Sports Pavilion in Minneapolis. The two-day event will feature seven Big Ten teams, which are all ranked in the top 10 by GymInfo. Action is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. on both days.

The meet with Illinois-Chicago will start at 5 p.m. The event will mark the final competition in the regular season for the Hawkeyes.