Hawkeye swimmers place 13th at nationals in relay

The Iowa men’s swimming and diving team’s 400-medley relay competed in 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships Thursday and took a 13th-place finish overall.

The squad of sophomore Grant Betulius, junior Andrew Marciniak, and seniors Byron Butler and Jordan Huff finished fifth in the B finals with a time of 3:09.68, just shy of their preliminary school-record of 3:09.66.

The Hawkeyes began competition strong with a 12th-place finish in preliminary swim. They entered the competition seeded at 18th. Betulius began the prelim relay with an addition school record in the 100 backstroke for the fourth time this season with a time of 46.33 besting his 46.70 time at the 2013 Big Ten Championships. The relay an earned honorable mention All-America award.

Big Ten champion Michigan currently leads the championship with 153 points with California in second at 123.5 and Auburn in third with 112.5 points. Cal has been the national champion season both in 2012 and 2011. Iowa finished the day in 26th place with 8 points.

The Black and Gold will return to day two of competition today to compete in three preliminary events – the 200 medley relay, 100 breaststroke, and the 100 backstroke. Prelims will begin at 10 a.m. with finals at 6 p.m. CT.