GymHawks look to Stevenson for big performance

Emma Stevenson still thinks she has room for improvement.

Going into her Senior Night meet against Iowa State this evening, she thinks she’s capable of earning higher scores and ending her gymnastics career on a high note.

“I can’t believe it’s actually tomorrow,” Stevenson said. “I’ve been watching so many of the upperclassmen graduate and go do this, thinking, ‘Oh, it’ll never be me; I can’t imagine that actually ever happening.’ But all the sudden, here it is.”

Stevenson’s isn’t letting her mentality change. While it may be her final meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena, the team will travel to Cedar City, Utah, next weekend for a meet against Southern Utah. The team will also compete in the Big Ten championships later this month.

“I’m not going to try to psyche myself out or relax too much,” Stevenson said. “I’m just going to go in like it’s a normal meet every time. I can’t really change my mentality, or that’s just going to change my whole outlook on the routines.”

Stevenson said that she has grown as a competitor during her time at Iowa, and that she achieved the peak of her gymnastics career while in college, unlike most gymnasts, who peak while competing with club teams.

“Determination, hard work, perseverance — all words that people throw out,” Stevenson said. “I actually take them to heart, because I had a lot of things that could have set me back.”