Hawkeye women’s golfers place 10th in Arizona

The Iowa women’s golf team finished 10th Monday at the Westbrook Invitational, held at at the Westbrook Village Golf Club in Peoria, Ariz.

The two-day tournament, hosted by Wisconsin, saw the Hawkeyes shoot 912 (plus 48) as a team, finishing just 1 stroke behind the Badgers and Eastern Michigan.

After the first day of play, Iowa sat alone in ninth place, carding a 612 (plus 36) through the first two rounds. Frost on the course delayed the start of the second day until 10 a.m.

Pacing the Hawkeyes was senior Kristi Cardwell, who shot a 74 on through her first round Sunday. She slipped in the second round, shooting a 78 but was able to finish strong in the third, parring seven of her last nine shots to round out another 74. Caldwell finished tied for 22nd overall.

Freshman Amy Ihm continued her strong play this season, shooting a 76 (plus 4) and a 77 through the first two rounds. She saved the best for last, shooting a 75 in the final round, collecting 12 pars and two bogeys on the final 18 holes.

Sophomore Lauren English started off slowly the first day, shooting a 78 and a 77 through the first two rounds; however, she managed to come back strong on Monday, shooting a 74.

Freshman Brianna Midkiff finished at 231 (plus15) and sophomore Shelby Phillips finished agt 233.

The women’s golf team will be out of action until March 15, when it travels back to Arizona for the Mountain View Collegiate in Tucson.